SmartConnect Card Management System
SmartConnect is the branding used to describe the outputs from the ODPM's National Smartcard Project.
The Smart Connect software range, based on industry standard technologies, enables local authorities to introduce a smart card scheme quickly and cost effectively and provides the building blocks on which to develop and implement larger and more complex smart card schemes.
The software issues smartcards which are encoded to agreed standards to ensure that cards are compatible on a national level. It can also be used to issue non-smart cards including plastic, barcode and magstripe cards.
Following the conclusion of the National Project funding, Bracknell Forest Council (BFC) became the custodian of Smart Connect and manage the licencing and development of the product.
In June 2008 Bracknell Forest Council simplified smartcard scheme implementation for local authorities by awarding SmartCitizen a contract for SmartConnect software support services.
Because Bracknell Forest has already followed a full EU procurement for the provision of SmartConnect support services, any other local authority can now contract directly with BFC without needing to complete a long and expensive tendering process. It can do this because, subject to an authority’s own financial and contract regulations, it will be able to demonstrate Best Value. Local authorities can therefore quickly establish a smartcard scheme which is comprehensive, reliable and offers value for money.
For more information on contracting with Bracknell Forest contact Vincent Paliczka, Director of Environment and Leisure, Bracknell Forest Council on 01344 351750
The components of the Smart Connect “Starter Pack” for local authorities are as follows:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Card holder database
- Card issuance supporting smartcards (DESFire EV1 4k, DESFire EV1 8k, MiFare 1k, MiFare 4k, JCOP 30, JCOP31, DESFire), barcode cards, magnetic stripe cards, plastic cards and flash passes
- Web-based enrolment system supporting enrolment for a number of services without
completing multiple forms. Services supported include:
- Concessionary Travel - ITSO
- School meals
- Proof of age
- Staff card
- Access control
- Image capture & secure storage (including the citizen’s photograph and signature)
- Sophisticated eligibility checking and recording facilities (allowing citizens to present their proof of entitlement only once and enabling a scanned copy of any documentary proof to be stored in the card management database)
- Web-based user interface allowing citizens to log-on using their smart card and view the details stored about them on-line
- Ability to import data from existing systems and databases
- Card management including routines for reporting lost or stolen cards and requesting replacement cards
- Card print and personalisation software allowing local authorities to produce cards without the assistance of an external print bureau, if desired
- On-card java applets supporting ITSO, PKI, and e-purse
- Card data viewing software allowing citizens to view the data that is stored on their smart card
- Card data maintenance software allowing local authorities to update the data stored on a citizen’s card, and at the same time ensure the integrity of the data in the back-end database
- Sophisticated Action lists and Hotlists with automatic size management facilities
- ISL Stoplisting Reports
- Reports tool including built-in reports; customisable reports and Crystal reports interface
The SmartConnect Card Management has been successfully integrated with a number of 3rd party software solutions including:
- Talis Library Management System
- Horizon Library Management System
- Vubis Library Management System
- Flex Leisure Management System
- MRM Plus 2 Leisure Management System
- Frontline CRM System
- Onyx CRM System
- National Transplant Organ Donor System
- Uniware Cashless Catering System
- Infineer Cashless Catering System
- Chubb Access Control System
- ACT ITSO HOPS
- sQuid e-purse
For a more comprehensive list of the systems with which SmartConnect has been integrated please click here.
For information on whether SmartConnect can be integrated with a specific system please contact SmartCitizen.